History

Castleblayney CollegeCastleblayney College, formerly Ardscoil Lorgan, is one of six schools administered by CMETB. It is a co-educational, multi-denominational second-level school.  A dedicated team of teaching and ancillary staff totals thirty-six people. The college has a long and proud history since it was first set up under the VEC Act (1930) and has been housed in a number of locations in the town through the years until it found a permanent home at its current location.  In 1950 a new building was officially opened by local and world famous poet Patrick Kavanagh. In 1969, following the introduction of the free education scheme a substantial new large building was erected on the east campus of the college. This was further added to when another new extension, comprising eight rooms, was opened in January 2000.

The college has an impressive track record of academic achievement with an average of 80% of its students progressing to 3rd level and/or further education and the remainder going into employment and apprenticeships. Former students of the college have distinguished themselves in all areas of life and their achievements have been well documented and acknowledged.

The college offers the mainstream Junior and Leaving Certificate curriculum as well as the Junior Certificate School Programme (JCSP) and the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP). At Leaving Certificate level there are eighteen examination subjects on offer to students.

The college also offers a wide range of opportunities of an extra-curricular nature, giving students the chance to fulfill their potential in every way whether that be through sport, drama, music or debating, to mention but a few. On the sporting field the various football, basketball and soccer teams have all achieved significant victories, especially at All-Ireland level.  The annual school musical is one of the social highlights of the year in the local community, the most recent school production being "The Addams Family".

Our latest school extension was officially opened in August 2016 at a total cost of almost 7 million euro. This comprises some twelve new general classrooms, new and refurbished Woodwork, Metalwork, Home Economics and Technical Graphics suites. Our students now have the luxury of a new canteen which can seat one hundred and seventy students. The build also gave us a brand new international size Sports Hall complete with fitness suite and changing rooms with state of the art facilities.  Castleblayney College now boasts a school campus that is modern and equipped to the highest specification.

Other than improved school accommodation, the new extension eliminates the longstanding issue of having a national primary route running through the school campus which was a matter of grave concern down the years. The students and teachers of Castleblayney College now learn and teach in the most modern and safest of school environments.